Monday, January 7, 2008

The Start of A Life-Long 'Interest'

I was going to say "obsession" but if it qualifies as an 'obsession' I consider my interest in Korzybski and his work a healthy one, at least it has seemed mainly so to me.

I read a lot as a teenager. Sometime in the mid-sixties, looking for new things to study I found a book called The Tyranny of Words by Stuart Chase in a reading list in Family Circle, a magazine my mother got. The title intrigued me. I got the book from the library, read it (including his portrayal of Korzybski) and began asking all my teachers in school, "What is the referent?" I was starting to become quite a pest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My first time was an NLP-seminar, but I didn't get these ideas completely,so I tried to learn more by my own.
After that time I read many articles by Korzibski (in Russian) and after I moved to Dr. Clare W. Graves www.clarewgraves.com
Thanks for posting!!!